Monday, December 1, 2008

Blood Test Day

Well today dad took me back to the vets so the Doctor could take some blood. They need to figure out if the daily dose at 90mg of Epiphen is remaining in my bloodstream sufficiently to keep the seizures at bay.

The Doctor trusted me without a muzzle and got dad to hold me whilst he stuck the needle in to take the blood, and I didn't struggle or even make a sound. After all it's not as bad as having my temperature taken!!!

So far it's been 29 days since my last seizure, which is a very good thing.

Dad asked the Doctor about my legs which give me some discomfort after running about a bit. So he took a look see and felt around my hips and knees and it looks like my discomfort may be more related to my knees than my hips.

The Doctor signed me up for a treatment of Previcox (firocoxib) at 227mg per day (5mg per kg of weight, I'm 40kgs right now). The Doctor said to keep an eye out for side effects such as vomiting or diarrhoea.

After shopping around it looks as if Previcox is available far more cheaply online (I got dad to do this bit) than it is at the vets. It also seems it can have some quite severe side affects as with some other NAIDS (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), so we're going to have to ask some questions on the next visit.

Without insurance the Epiphen and Previcox work out at £57 per month! So any saving to be made here is very useful.

UPDATE: Attached is the clinical trial report for Previcox (firocoxib, Merial) [Click here for PDF]

No comments:

Post a Comment